Thursday 16 January 2014

Sixty Four Scones


So my dear, old dad was 64 yesterday. I've always found it difficult to know what to buy him - at his age he seems to have everything he needs. However, over the weekend I had a brainwave. You see, my dad and I share certain interests: a slight major obsession with the housing market; fabric snobbery (he's an upholsterer) and eating the ultimate scone. I therefore decided to bake him sixty four scones! I don't know whether the decision was base upon inspiration or desperation but in the end it worked out well as he was chuffed with the scone tonnage and the cream and jam I bought to go with them. 

 Anyway, I've experimented with scone recipes since I took up baking over ten years ago and I've found that some recipes are light but slightly flavourless (Nigella), some are buttery but are not as light as they could be (very traditional English recipes) and some taste too much of baking powder (modern scones which are full of flavours no scone should include - orange and cranberry, dried strawberries...what can I tell you, I'm a stickler for scone tradition). 

Now, I think the success of the scones was less down to me and more down to Paul Hollywood. And folks I say this grudgingly as I am not one of those housewives, of a certain age, who look upon Paul Hollywood as the Wirral's answer to George Clooney. In fact, I think he's a bit of a big head and a bit of a bad lad but, by gum, his scone recipe is the very best I have ever tried (and I've tried a few). So thanks Paul. My dad has put his scones in the freezer and looks forward to eating one, when he returns form work, for the next sixty four days!

No comments:

Post a Comment