Monday 1 July 2013

In Praise of Ina Garten...and Jeffery

The children and I have been enjoying the new series of the Barefoot Contessa on the Food Network. We think Ina is a sweetie, her home just peachie and her husband an absolute darling. Mr Tree, however, is somewhat disparaging and comments thus:
"Oh, yes Ina more is more...why does she have to  pile the flavours on?"
"Why is that man wearing pink trousers?"
"Why do all the men wear pink trousers?"
"Why is Jeffrey making such a fuss about buying a tomato?"
However, for me, watching her pile the butter and whole tablespoons of salt into pretty much everything she cooks has the similar effect that catnip has to knackered out old tabbies. Bring it on Ina, you're making me purr. 

What the girls and I particularly enjoy is watching the lovely Jeffrey eat the grub. He's very sweet and appreciative and ever-so-slightly bewildered by being on the telly. In fact, he seems to bring out the motherly instinct in people, even my fifteen year old daughter commented, "Wouldn't it be lovely to marry a man like Jeffrey?" Well, move over Jack White, that's what I say.

Anyway, I made Ina's Raspberry Crumble Bars yesterday for Sunday tea and I was quite pleased with the results. Queue the inevitable blog photo!
The shortbread base was absolutely scrumptious and very easy to make. Lots of butter in the mixture (well we know that Ina doesn't muck about) made the shortbread very tender and light and the addition of the vanilla made it very good. However, the older I get the plainer I like my cake and although the raspberry jam and crumble topping made absolute sense I would've just preferred a plain vanilla shortbread. The girls however raved about them, but you know who enjoyed them the most and ate four in total? Yes, Mr Tree. From now on he is siding with Ina in thinking that "more is more." I doubt, however, that he'll be buying a pair of pink trousers any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment